Sunday, October 27, 2013

Transformation to Yum--Basil Corn & Zucchini Casserole

I'm not really a picky eater, but there are a few foods I do not like.  Tomatoes and mushrooms top the list, but zucchini takes a close third.  My husband, of course, loves all three.  So, in an effort to please him, I will occasionally incorporate one of these into a dish and hope that the other flavors hide the taste.  Isn't it amazing how well that usually works?  I could probably hide rat turds in a casserole and no one would even notice!  Since I think rat turds are slightly tastier than mushrooms, I don't put 'shrooms in too many things, but tomatoes and zucchini are a little easier for me to swallow.

This casserole also stars corn, Allen's favorite vegetable, so I knew he would love it.  Me?  I wasn't so sure, but I was surprised how great it turned out to be.  The flavors are fresh and vibrant, and it's a great use of the veggies you may grow in your garden.  I don't do gardening, so I used frozen corn and canned tomatoes, but it still tasted homegrown to me!


Basil Corn & Zucchini Casserole
Prep time: 15 min  Cook time: 45 min
Serves 10

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 can (10-3/4 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (I used a drained can of Ro*Tel)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup minced fresh basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese


Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs and condensed soup until blended. Stir in vegetables, bread crumbs, basil, salt and onion. Transfer mixture to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


138 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!