Monday, July 22, 2013

Curry in a Hurry

The recipe I have for you today was disliked by 2/3 of my family.  So why am I sharing it?  Because that 2/3 have no appreciation for fine Indian food!  My husband doesn't like curry anything, so I didn't have the highest hope of him enjoying this, but since the recipe didn't actually call for any curry powder, I thought I'd give it a try, because I love curry dishes!  Plus, it incorporated a spice called garam masala, which I bought some time ago and have been itching to use.  When the dish turned out tasting exactly like other curry dishes I've had before, I did a little research and was embarrassed to realize that curry is not a particular spice derived from one plant, but a common mixture of spices including tumeric, coriander, cumin, and red pepper.  In India, where it is most commonly used, it is typically called......you guessed it - garam masala!  So I felt like a big idiot for not knowing these things, but I was pleasantly surprised by this curry even if the rest of my family was not.  If you like curry, you will definitely enjoy this recipe.  If not, you can feel free to skip it, but I think you're missing out if you don't give it a try!  Bonus!- this dish is meatless and uses beans for the protein, so it's budget and vegetarian friendly.


Bean Curry
link to original recipe
Total time: 20 min.
Serves 5

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
Pinch of cayenne, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala 
3/4 cup half and half  
1 cup vegetable stock or chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, lightly drained
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped 
1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbs cold water, if desired
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 cups cooked rice  

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until translucent and slightly browned.

Stir in garlic and grated ginger root; stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add tomato; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in turmeric, cayenne, salt, paprika, and garam masala; stir constantly for 30 seconds.

Add half and half, stock or broth, black-eyed peas and cauliflower.  Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, till cauliflower is tender. Add dissolved cornstarch to thicken, if desired.  Stir in cilantro. Serve immediately with rice.

 365 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment