Monday, October 21, 2013

Dippity-Do

Some things are just don'ts.  Don't fry bacon naked, don't leave me alone with 50 leftover cupcakes, and don't serve spinach and expect rave reviews.  Unless, of course, you are serving this hot, cheesy, totally awesome spinach artichoke dip. Then, it's a total DO.  There are lots of great recipes out there for similar dips, and I've tried about all of them, but I always go back to this one because it just couldn't be any easier.  It's microwaveable, for heaven's sake!  This comes together in just a few minutes and everybody I've ever served it to wanted to eat their weight in it.  Plus, it's full of healthy veggies that I would never eat otherwise.  Now I'm not saying this is health food, but I feel just a little less guilty scarfing it down, knowing at least it's chock full of folic acid.  This is a great party dish and, as a bonus, it's yummy even when it gets cold, so you can put it out and forget about it.

There's only one don't when it comes to this recipe, and it's an important one.  DON'T microwave the cream cheese whole.  Cut it up into smaller chunks first or risk your skin.  If you stick a spoon in an overheated block of cream cheese, it can explode and cause serious 3rd degree burns.  Trust me on this one.  But believe me, you definitely want to make this dip!  Even when I had to spend a month with my hand bandaged, it was worth the pain.  If you make it right, though, it's all pleasure.


Spinach Artichoke Dip
Total time: 10 min
Serves 8

1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach,
    drained and squeezed dry
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts,
    drained and chopped
8 oz cream cheese, cubed
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

Microwave cream cheese for 1 minute or until hot and soft.  Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.

220 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment