Saturday, April 20, 2013

Coconut Shrimp

My 10th wedding anniversary was a few months ago, and I had spent the last year trying to convince my husband than an event this important should be commemorated in a similarly special manner. Like with a trip to Hawaii.

I promised to save all the money myself and make all the arrangements. I had a babysitter (read: grandma) lined up to keep Rachel so we could enjoy some romantic time alone together. I even had my very own coconut bra and grass skirt, courtesy of my highly supportive coworker, Basha. What I didn't have was a willing husband. 

Sure, with enough cajoling I had gotten him to give me a grudging "okay," but what kind of fun would he be if I had to drag him there against his will? I seriously contemplated taking my travel-loving bestie or my mom instead and having a grand time without him. But in the end I gave up my dream of renewing our vows on the shores of Maui and settled for a quiet weekend home alone with my honey. Rachel went on a youth group retreat and we went to Red Lobster.  

Well, it wasn't exactly the tropical getaway I had in mind, but at least the food was tasty. In fact, the coconut shrimp I ordered was so good I almost forgot how disappointed I was not to be eating dinner in Hawaii that night.  

Anyway, a few weeks ago I found this recipe and crossed my fingers in hopes that it would taste even half as good as Red Lobster's version. It's been awhile since I ate theirs, but in my opinion this tastes almost exactly the same. Plus, it was so easy, Rachel was able to make it all by herself on her night to cook dinner! Now I can recreate my romantic anniversary any time I want. Maybe next time I'll wear the coconut bra.

Coconut Shrimp with Orange Sauce
Prep time: 15 min  Wait time: 20 min  Cook time: 10 min
Serves 3

1 cup flour
2 eggs
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 lb shrimp--cleaned, peeled, de-veined
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 Tbs rice vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard 

Set up a dredging station for the shrimp by placing the flour in a wide, shallow plate or bowl; beat the eggs in a small bowl and combine panko and coconut in a separate, wide, shallow plate or bowl. Coat shrimp with flour, dunk into egg mixture and then into coconut crumbs, patting the crumbs on if needed. Set on a large platter and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. (I didn't bother to wait) 

Meanwhile combine orange marmalade, rice vinegar, and Dijon in a small bowl to make dipping sauce. 

Add about 2 inches of oil to large, deep pan or skillet and heat to 350 degrees F. (I used my deep fryer) Fry shrimp in batches until light golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel lined plates.

Serve with orange dipping sauce.

454 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!