Monday, October 14, 2013

Score One for Salad

My child does not like salad in any form.  To be honest, I'm not a big fan myself, but I make it and eat it and try not to whine too much about it because I know it's good for me, but Rachel snubs her nose at anything with the name salad - even fruit salad!  I personally love fruit salads.  Fruit by itself is okay, but there's something about mixing a bunch of it all together with a sweet sauce that elevates it to something extra special.  I've posted several great fruit salads on here in the past, but all of them have had fluffy, creamy, high-calorie fillings that pretty much negate any of the health benefits of eating a big bowl of fruit.  But this salad is actually pretty light, yet still super yummy!  Even better, Rachel ate a whole bowlful without one complaint.  Score one for salad! 

Strawberry Cantaloupe Salad
link to original recipe
Total time: 15 min.
Serves 6

2 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups diced cantaloupe
4 oz diced mozzarella
1 cup raspberries
2 Tbs sunflower kernels
4 Tbs light raspberry vinaigrette
1/8 cup sugar (if desired)
1 Tbs thinly sliced mint leaves (if desired)

In a large bowl, combine strawberries, cantaloupe and cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette.  Add sugar, if desired, and toss to coat. Just before serving, gently stir in raspberries; top with sunflower kernels. If desired, sprinkle with mint.

172 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment