Monday, April 29, 2013

Chicken 'n Dumplings Dump-In

I love comfort food.  Anything that Grandma used to make gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.  The only problem is, Grandma's recipes always took forever to make because she had nothing better to do than spend hours in the kitchen creating delicious food for her loved ones.  Not that we don't all love our families just as much as Grandma did, but I ain't got time fo' dat!  This is how I imagine my hillbilly grandma probably talked; in reality, my grandmas both died before I was born, so I didn't even have the chance to ask them how they made their favorite comfort food dishes.  I've had to figure it all out on my own, and here's what I've figured out....the most comforting dishes are the ones that don't take half my night to make!  This recipe is a perfect combination of quick and comforting.  I think Grandma would be proud. 


Crock-Pot Chicken n' Dumplings
Prep time: 5 min  Cook time: 7 hrs
Serves 6

4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables 
1 onion, diced 
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
1 14 oz. can chicken broth
1 tablespoon dried parsley 
1 can refrigerator biscuits, cubed
3 cups mashed potatoes, if desired


Spray Crock-Pot with cooking spray.  Add all ingredients except biscuits.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.
Break up chicken into smaller chunks.  Stir in biscuit pieces and cook for 30 more minutes.  Add more chicken broth to thin down, if desired.
This is great by itself, but even better served over mashed potatoes!  

300 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment