Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pepper Perfection

I love to experiment with new recipes, and when my husband and I got married he was thrilled.  His mom had always been afraid to try new things, so my foray into the exotic was met with enthusiasm.  After 11 years of marriage, he still appreciates all the new dishes I try, but you know what gets him excited now?  When I make the good, old-fashioned meals his momma used to make.  This dish is one that my mom used to make all the time, and I don't remember liking it as a kid, but now it's one of my favorites.  I've adapted mom's recipe a little, swapping a box of Spanish rice for the longer list of ingredients she always used, but I think it makes it tastier as well as easier.  The kid won't eat it, of course, but maybe in a few years when she's trying to please her husband she'll remember mom's good ol' stuffed peppers recipe and give it a try herself!

Stuffed Green Peppers
Prep time: 30 min  Bake time: 10 min
Serves 6

3 large green peppers
1 (6.8 oz) box Spanish rice mix
2 Tbs butter (for rice)
2 cups hot water (for rice)
1 (14.5 oz) can Italian diced tomatoes (for rice)
1 lb lean ground beef
2 cups shredded cheddar
2 Tbs chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and stem.  Blanch peppers in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes.  Remove, drain, and place inside-up in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt.

Meanwhile, brown ground beef and drain. Prepare rice according to directions on box.  (I usually add the cooked beef into the rice while it is simmering to infuse it with flavor.)  Combine the beef and rice with 1 cup of the cheese.

Scoop the mixture into the peppers.  Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top.  Bake at 350° till cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.  Garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.

463 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment