Saturday, March 15, 2014

OreO.M.G!

I have to admit, I'll take just about any excuse to make dessert.  I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to lose a few pounds this year, so I haven't been making as many treats, but I have an insatiable sweet tooth and it doesn't take long for goodies to find their way into my mouth.

When I'm craving sugar, I will eat just about anything, but Oreos are not my favorite treat, mainly because the cookie part is so dry and crunchy.  I like them dunked in milk, but they're messy to eat that way and I usually end up dropping them into the bottom of my glass.  I first made Oreo truffles a couple years ago and was blown away by how easy and fabulous they were.  They have all the great taste of a milk-soaked Oreo and the yummy chocolate coating makes them easy to eat.

When I saw this recipe for mint Oreo truffles, I knew they would be amazing because chocolate and mint is one of my favorite combinations. I've been saving this recipe for a "special occasion," and St. Patty's day coming up next week was the perfect excuse.  If you've never made regular Oreo truffles, you definitely want to try them, too.  Just substitute plain Oreos for the mint ones and omit the peppermint extract from the chocolate.

Mint Oreo Truffles
Total time: 30 min
Makes 40 truffles

1 (15 oz) pkg Cool Mint Oreos
6 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz white chocolate
2-4 Tbs vegetable oil (if needed)
1 tsp peppermint extract
green food coloring

Finely crush 5 cookies in a food processor or place them in a ziploc bag and crush into a fine consistency. Reserve for later.


Crush remaining cookies and mix in softened cream cheese.  Roll the mixture into 1″ balls and place on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in freezer for at least 15 minutes.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, ensuring the bowl does not touch the surface of the water. Remove from heat, and stir in peppermint extract. Add green food coloring until desired shade of green is reached. Alternately, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. If your brand of white chocolate melts a little thicker, you can use vegetable oil to thin it.  (I've heard that others tried almond bark and candy melts to BAD results. The peppermint seizes the whole mixture. So please, only use white chocolate! You could use milk chocolate instead, but obviously that won't give you this lovely green color.)

Dip balls into chocolate, tap off extra and set aside on wax paper to dry. Sprinkle the tops with the 5 crushed cookies for decoration. Once dry, refrigerate and enjoy!

110 calories per truffle.  Click here for more nutritional info!

No comments:

Post a Comment