Thursday, March 20, 2014

Creamy Tomato & Sausage Pasta

I try a lot of new recipes all the time, so it's easy for one to get lost in the shuffle.  Before I started this blog, I used to write my favorite recipes down on index cards and stick them in an over-stuffed recipe box, where they lingered in anonymity till I got desperate for a good menu idea and started digging through the box.  Totally old-school, I know!  Well, I ran across this oldie and couldn't remember anything about it, but when I made it again tonight, I couldn't believe I had forgotten it.  It was SOOOOOO good!  Like, lick the plate, go back for thirds, good.  Even the kid, who doesn't like sausage or tomatoes, gobbled this up.  Of course, once I ran this recipe through the calorie counter I realized exactly why this is so tasty.  Holy diet-buster, Batman!  I think next time I will try this with half and half instead of heavy cream.  That would significantly reduce the fat and calories and would probably still taste really great.  I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever try it that way, but in the meantime, put on your baggy pants and MAKE THIS NOW!

Creamy Tomato & Sausage Pasta 
Total time: 25 min
Serves 5

1 lb bulk pork sausage
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (15 oz) can Italian diced tomatoes, un-drained
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed), minced
12 oz fettuccine


Boil fettuccine till tender.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.

Stir in cream and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Serve over fettuccine.

860 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!


No comments:

Post a Comment