Wednesday, February 26, 2014

French Onion Faux

My husband loves french onion soup, but I can't stand it.  Don't get me wrong, the flavors are great, but the mechanics of eating it just turn me off.  First you have to cut through cheesy toast that plunges into the soup as soon as you put pressure on it with your spoon. Then the toast gets all soggy on the bottom, which is nasty, and finally, the soup is mostly broth, which should be sipped, but the onions in it are usually so large they need to be chewed, so I just about choke every time I get one in my mouth.  Every time my husband asks me to make it, I hem and haw and make excuses till he lets it drop, but I know he really likes it, so I was stoked when I found this recipe that combines all the great flavors of french onion soup, but without all the annoyances of the real thing!  Plus, this is practically a whole meal in one skillet, whereas the soup is just an appetizer.  My kid hates onions, but I just left them off her chop and she liked it just fine, even with the onion flavors.  The best part is, my husband loved it and he said it tastes just like french onion soup, so hopefully he'll start asking for this instead! 

French Onion Pork Chop Skillet
Prep time: 4+ hours for marinating
Cook time: 25 min
Serves 4

4 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
1 (10.5 oz) can french onion soup
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 (6 oz) pkg stuffing mix for chicken
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup shredded mozzarella


 

Combine soup and pork in a large zip-top bag or shallow dish and marinate for several hours or overnight. Remove meat and pour marinade into a medium saucepan. Add 1/2 cup water to marinade and heat to boiling; set aside.

Heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add chops and onions. Cook 10 minutes or until chops are done (145°F), turning chops and stirring onions after 5 minutes. Remove chops from skillet; set aside.

Cook and stir onions 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Return chops to skillet. Spoon onions over chops.

Stir stuffing mix into reserved marinade; spoon around edge of skillet. Top with cheese; cover. Cook on low heat 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.


643 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment