Monday, August 4, 2014

Marissa's Pancit

Did you miss me?! It seems like I haven't blogged in forever! It's been a crazy couple of weeks for me at work and the stress followed me home like a stray puppy dog and took up residence in my brain like a flea infestation. I barely had the energy to make supper, let alone blog about it. Life is slowly normalizing again, so I decided I owed you all a really great recipe to make up for my month-long absence.

This dish is really nothing "special," but it is oh-so-yummy. This is a traditional Filipino recipe that I learned from my stepmother who makes it for my husband every time we visit because he loves it so much. I finally got the recipe from her and now I can make it for him whenever he wants--or at least whenever I can find pancit noodles at the Asian store. They were out for weeks! In a pinch you can use angel hair or rice vermicelli, but the real thing is always the best. Like all my favorite recipes, this comes together super quick and, amazingly, even my picky kid likes it!


Pancit Bihon
Prep time: 15 min  Cook time: 15 min
Serves 6

16 oz pancit bihon noodles
2 Tbs oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
2 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups water
1 onion, sliced 
3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1/4 cabbage, sliced into small strips
1 carrot, sliced into strips
3/4 cup snow peas (or red peppers)
3/4 cup diced celery
3 Tbs soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

1 Tbs lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)

Soak the noodles in water for 10 minutes to soften.

Meanwhile, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil till lightly browned.  Remove and keep warm.  Saute vegetables in remaining tablespoon of oil till slightly tender, about 5 minutes.

Return chicken to pan with vegetables. Drain noodles and add to chicken and veggies. Pour in bouillon water and soy sauce and simmer till noodles are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste and squeeze lemon juice on top.

353 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment