Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cha-Chang!

Apparently, there is this hugely popular Asian chain restaurant out there called P.F. Chang's that everybody seems to love.  Believe it or not, foodie that I am, I have never been there.  I've just never lived that close to one!  That being said, I have absolutely no authority to discuss their food, but since their reputation precedes them, when I saw a copy cat Chang's recipe, I thought I ought to at least give it a try.  I'm really glad I did because these chicken wraps are perfection - salty with a touch of sweet, soft and chewy with a bit of crunch, simple with a hint of exotic.  With ground chicken instead of beef and lettuce leaves instead of tortillas, it's a little healthier than a taco, but just as much fun to eat.  Even my kiddo liked them (especially since I "forgot" to mention the onions when I blamed the crunch on the water chestnuts!)  These do require a few nontraditional ingredients like chili sauce and sesame oil, but these are great in any Asian recipe, so it won't take long to use them up afterwards.  You can usually buy them in the international foods section of the grocery store.  The original recipe says this only serves 2, but we got four good servings out of it and my hubby can eat!  I served it with a side of teriyaki noodles and vegetables and it was a great success.

Chicken Lettuce Wraps
link to original recipe 
Total time: 20 min.
Serves 4

1 lb ground chicken breast
1/2 onion, minced
salt & pepper, to taste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1″ knob ginger, peeled & minced
2-1/2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs + 1 tsp rice vinegar
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 Tbs peanut butter
1/2 Tbs water
1/2 Tbs honey
2 tsp chili garlic sauce
Dash of pepper
3 green onions, chopped
1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped

Large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry

Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high. Add chicken, onion, salt & pepper, then cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat. Add garlic and ginger then continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.

Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, water, honey, chili garlic sauce and dash of pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. Add into the skillet and stir to combine.

Add green onions and water chestnuts into the skillet then cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are soft and the water chestnuts are heated through. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, and serve with cold lettuce leaves for wrapping.

357 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment