Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Coconut Lime Grilled Chicken

 Nobody who knows me would ever consider me a risk-taker. I plan everything weeks in advance, always read the directions, and don't like roller coasters or extreme sports or even haircuts that take off more than half an inch. But when it comes to making dinner, I'm dauntless! (shameless plug for my daughter's current favorite movie, Divergent)

It's seems like a lot of people are afraid of trying new recipes, but to me, a recipe is not really a gamble. If I know I like all the ingredients and I follow the directions correctly, I'm almost guaranteed to have a good result. I'm notorious for constantly trying new recipes and I'm not even afraid to try them when it really matters, like when I'm having a dinner party! That's exactly what happened last night when I decided to try out this recipe on my unsuspecting friends. As I expected, it turned out great and it even left my hands smelling like a tropical paradise all day!



Coconut Lime Grilled Chicken
Prep time: 5 min (plus 2+ hrs marinating) Cook time: 10 min
Serves 4

1 1/2 cups coconut milk
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
juice of 1 lime
3 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs fish sauce
1 Tbs brown sugar
4 chicken breasts

In a food processor or blender, combine coconut milk, garlic, ginger, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Process until smooth, about 30 seconds, to make marinade.


 If chicken breasts are very thick, butterfly them in two or pound to 1/2 inch thickness. Place chicken in a large ziptop bag and pour in marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Bring leftover marinade to a boil in a small saucepan.

Preheat grill, then brush lightly with oil. Grill chicken until tender, 4-5 minutes each side. Baste chicken with reserved marinade while grilling and drizzle chicken with extra marinade when serving.


328 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!