Sunday, March 10, 2013

Chinese Fake-Out Bourbon Chicken

Whenever I convince my husband to take me out for dinner, he always suggests the same thing: Chinese food. I guess that's because it's so hard to duplicate authentic Chinese flavors at home. I try every stirfry recipe I come across, but none of them are quite as tasty as restaurant-style Chinese (at least, the American version).

My hopes were a little higher when I ran across this recipe, though, because bourbon chicken doesn't have that typical Chinese flavor. I'm not really sure if it even IS Chinese because I read that it's named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, so it's probably more like Creole or even French food, but hey, they serve it at Panda Express, so it's Chinese to me! Anyway, I gave it a try and it was super yummy--and surprisingly similar to what I get at the restaurant. The hubs suggested I add some peanuts and green onions to it next time for a little crunch, but otherwise it was great and I'll definitely make it again sometime, especially since they recently closed our local Panda Express.




Bourbon Chicken
Total time: 30 min
Serves 6

2 lbs chicken thighs, cubed 
1 Tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove; crushed
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup bourbon (or apple juice)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs cornstarch
3 cups cooked rice (if desired)

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken. Add garlic to pan and cook till fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add remaining ingredients to pan, except cornstarch. Heat over medium heat until well blended and dissolved then bring to a boil.

Add chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Stir 1 tablespoon cornstarch into 3 tablespoons cold water then add to pan. Cook sauce until thickened. Serve over hot rice, if desired. 

407 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment