Friday, July 19, 2013

Cilantro Es Muy Yummo

Back when I was in school, I took Spanish from 7th - 10th grade, but about the only things I remember how to say are, "Me gusta comer" and "Donde esta el bano" which mean "I love to eat" and "Where is the bathroom?" respectively.  Well, and "Yo quiero Taco Bell," but I didn't learn that one in Spanish class!  I did eat an awful lot of Taco Bell when I was a teenager, and somewhere along the line I developed a love of real Mexican food, especially cilantro, my very favorite fresh herb.  I buy a bunch of cilantro almost every time I go to the store, so one time I decided to buy the whole plant instead and grow my own.  Unfortunately, the poor little thing was dead before I even got it out of the car (can anyone say black thumb?!) but I recently bought another one and so far, it is still alive!  I'll let you know how that turns out in a few weeks.  Surprisingly, some people possess a gene that causes them to think cilantro tastes soapy, but to most it's just refreshingly tangy with a hint of citrus. I think it's superb in soups, salads, salsa, sandwiches, and lots of other foods that don't start with "s."  Like corn!  Tonight was actually the first time I've ever put cilantro in my corn, but the whole fam agreed it was delish.  Plus it was quick and easy, which we all can appreciate! 


Parmesan Cilantro Corn
link to original recipe
Total time: 10 min
Serves 6

3 Tbs butter
4 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro




In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. 

When butter is foamy add the garlic and corn, stirring to coat with the butter. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. 

Add lime juice, cumin, and cayenne pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. 

Stir in cheese and then add heavy cream. Continue to stir so corn won't stick to pan. Add salt and pepper. Cook corn until most of the cream has absorbed, about 5 minutes more. 

Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and serve hot.

115 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment