Monday, August 26, 2013

More Peas, Please!

It's 9pm and I've got the munchies.  Am I craving, like usual, the chips I buy "for Allen,"  the cookies I made "for Rachel," or the 100 calorie popcorn packs I get for myself?  Nope, I'm craving peas.  Yup - raw, cold, peas.  Now, before you think I'm a total weirdo and quit reading altogether, notice I didn't say plain peas.  No, I'm craving the creamy, crunchy, bacon-y pea salad I made a few days ago and have been eating nonstop ever since.  I think any dish that makes me crave vegetables has got to be a good thing, so this salad has become one of my favorite summer side dishes.  Plus, it comes together in practically no time at all and makes a ton so it would be great for a potluck or BBQ, or for your 9pm snack -5 days in a row. = )

Crunchy Pea Salad
link to original recipe
prep time: 15 min
serves 12

1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup sugar
1 (10 oz) bag frozen peas, thawed
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup chopped red onion
5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled 

Mix together Italian dressing, mayonnaise and sugar in a medium size bowl. Fold in peas, celery, peanuts, onion, and bacon until well mixed. Refrigerate until serving.


I haven't tried this with lite dressing or mayo, but I think it would probably taste almost as good.  I probably wouldn't sub them both out for lite versions, but maybe one or the other.  I'll update this post to let you know how that turns out if I ever try it!

243 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment