Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Proof is in the Puddin'

My husband's favorite vegetable is corn--preferably on the cob--but he'll take it just about any way he can get it. I like corn, too, but I was raised to believe that every plate ought to have something green on it, and while corn is typically considered a vegetable, it just doesn't seem quite green enough to count as the only one at a meal.  Unfortunately, putting 2 veggies on the plate is enough to strike a protest from my teenager, so I've devised a simple but delicious strategy.  If I bake the corn in a casserole, it takes the place of a starch and I can still serve something green on the side.

This corn pudding is super easy to assemble, although it does take awhile to bake, so I usually save it for the weekend, but all you have to do is prep it and forget it.  It's rich and creamy and slightly sweet, but still has a great corn flavor.


Corn Pudding
Prep time: 5 min  Cook time: 60 min.
Serves 12

3 Tbs cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 (14.75 oz) can cream style corn
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk

1-2 cups corn (frozen or canned)
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs butter, cut into small pieces
 


In a medium size bowl, combine the cornstarch and sugar with a whisk.  Add eggs and beat well.  Add corn, evaporated milk and salt; mix well.


Pour into a greased 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.  Dot with butter pieces.


Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour, until set and golden brown.


172 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!