Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Tummyful

My summer vacation typically consists of occasionally admiring the exotic beach scene on my computer wallpaper.  I don't get the opportunity to take a lot of vacation time in the summer, but this year I have a 4-day weekend for Independence Day, so I tried to convince my homebody husband to take me to the beach.  It's too crowded, he says.  It's too hot.  It's too boring. After three days of badgering he finally consented - to let me go by myself.  Not exactly what I was aiming for, but it'll do.  I didn't want to be completely alone on my vacation, though, so I bought myself a round trip ticket to my hometown in Indiana, where there are friends, family and a pretty darn good beach!  I'm actually pretty excited about a week away from the responsibilities of my house, husband, pets, and child.  Control freak that I am, though, I can't just leave them helpless and uncared for, so I'm sure I'll clean the house before I go, fill all the prescriptions, plan out the menu, and do all the grocery shopping.  And I'll probably call them every night to make sure the pets are fed, the litter box is emptied, and the oven is turned off.  But at least I don't have to cook for a week, or pick up all the miscellaneous junk they leave lying around!  Maybe I better call right before I come home, just to remind them to clean up after themselves. 

Another cool thing going on this month is the youth group beach trip.  My munchkin gets a week at the beach sans parents and we get to eat grown up food for 5 straight nights.  Usually I have Rachel help me make dinner so she can learn from the master, but with her gone, I intend to keep food prep as simple as possible.  Enter my beloved Crock-Pot.  If you notice a week of practically no-prep meals, you'll know why.  You may also notice a week of mostly grilled meals.  While the oven seems to intimidate my manly man, the flaming grates of the BBQ excite him.  I figured he was more likely to cook and not just make PBJs every day if I planned a grill-centric menu for him.

If you'd like to take advantage of my menu this month, feel free to print it out from the link below.  On the menu, you'll see Aldi and Walmart written on the days I intend to visit each store.  The shopping list links below correspond, so you'll know what to buy if you want to make all the meals planned for this month.  I don't list basic pantry staples, so you should always double check the recipes to make sure you have the supplies you need.  My pantry may be a little better stocked than the average home cook, but I tried to add anything too out of the ordinary to the list.  I think Aldi's prices are better than Walmart's, but they just don't have everything I need, so I almost always have to make a trip to Walmart.  Anything I can't get at Aldi doesn't show up on the menu till after the Walmart trip.  If an ingredient isn't needed till after the Walmart trip, I listed it on the Walmart list, but I try to buy any non-perishables that I need for the month at Aldi.  YOU can feel free to shop wherever you darn well please; those are just my suggestions!
 
If you have any questions or suggestions about my menu or shopping list, feel free to ask in the comments section below.  Also, if you want to simplify grocery shopping, install the Grocery IQ app on your smart phone and I can sent the lists straight to your phone!  I even like to save my menu to the ibooks app on my phone so I can take a peek at it anytime I want.  I hope this menu keeps your tummy happy this summer!

July 2013 Menu 
Aldi List July 2013 
Walmart List July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment