Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Maple Pecan Apple Pie Bars

My husband's ex-pat aunt and uncle were coming to visit us from Mexico this week, so I was trying to pick a crowd-friendly dessert to make for them. Since it's officially fall (even though tomorrow is forecasted to be 97°!) my first thought was something pumpkin, but apple seemed like a safer choice. My husband reminded me there's nothing more American than apple pie, so that settled the debate.

Normally, I prefer to make new and creative things, not the same old, same old. And apple pie, while delicious, is kind of boring. But this recipe was just different enough to spark my interest. The inclusion of maple extract in the glaze, something I was eager to try, was the clincher. So, I added a new bottle to my collection of extracts and got baking. (I found maple extract at Walmart, but if you can't find it, vanilla extract would do.)

This recipe turned out to be a huge hit with everyone, and they devoured the whole pan in two days. They pleaded for the recipe, so I promised I'd add it to my blog ASAP. Here you go, Aunt Patty!


Maple Pecan Apple Pie Bars 
Prep time: 15 min Bake time: 40 min
Serves 20

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, chilled
1 egg, slightly beaten

Filling:
1/2 cup flour
3 apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp maple extract
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (I used candied pecans since I had some on hand)

Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.



In a large bowl combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and mix well. Cut in butter with pastry knife or two forks or until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Add egg and mix to combine. Press dough into prepared pan.



To prepare the filling, combine apples and flour and toss to coat. Add brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Spread over crust. (Alternatively, you could use a 21 oz. can of apple pie filling.)

Bake 40 minutes. Let cool completely.

For glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and maple extract and whisk until smooth. Pour over cooled bars. Top with chopped pecans. Allow glaze to set before cutting bars. Store in airtight container.

200 calories per serving. Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!