Sunday, March 1, 2015

Spicy New Orleans Shrimp

I tend to think of myself as a self-described Wonder Woman. I have a full time job and a family to take care of, I cook amazing meals and do pretty much all the household chores every day, I blog usually at least once a week, I volunteer at my church, I decorate lavishly for all major holidays, and for the last year I have been writing a novel and trying to find an agent to help me get it published! Somehow, I manage to do all this and still find time to keep up with my Facebook newsfeed, read a stack full of library books every month and watch all my favorite TV shows. I have to say, I amaze myself sometimes!

Most days, I juggle all this with ease, and a smile on my face. Some days, however, my super powers slip just a little. Like the last time I planned to make this fabulous dish.

The recipe is for 2 lbs of shrimp--I had only one. It calls for chili sauce--I forgot to buy any. It's supposed to marinate for 4 or more hours--I started it 20 minutes before I planned to eat. The sauce is supposed to be simmered for 10 minutes--I dumped it straight onto the shrimp instead. To top it all off, I was serving this with my Crock Pot Corn Casserole, which is supposed to cook on high for 2 hours, but I only put it on low for 2. Definitely NOT my finest moment! 

Amazingly enough, it STILL turned out awesome! This sauce is absolutely delicious, so I recommend serving it with some crusty french bread to sop up any extra.




Spicy New Orleans Shrimp
Prep time: 15 min (plus 4+ hrs)
Bake time: 20 min
Serves 5

2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 Tbs chili sauce
3 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke (hickory flavor)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
5 cloves fresh garlic, minced

Add all ingredients except shrimp to a saucepan, stir and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool.

Arrange the shrimp in an oven- proof casserole dish and pour the sauce over the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake shrimp for 15 - 20 minutes.

411 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!