Friday, January 3, 2014

WonderBundle

It's freezing cold here in sunny NC today, with temps in the 20's, which is fairly unusual since our average winter temperature is about 50 degrees.  This means that the Thermostat Nazi(aka Allen) and I had the sweater argument again.  I think we should turn up the heat or turn on the fireplace, but he thinks I should put on a couple more sweaters and quit my whining.  Mind you, I am already wearing one sweater, heavy corduroy pants, and a blanket, yet I'm still shivering.  I refuse to put on any more clothing!  I don't like wearing layers - they make me feel stiff and uncomfortable, not to mention what they do to my figure!  Being bundled up like an Eskimo is NOT attractive, but it is tasty.  That is, if you're talking about these scrumptious little bundles.  Juicy chicken wrapped in 2 kinds of cheese and flaky pastry - now that's my kind of layering!

This is actually a double batch of the original recipe, but I always make it this way for 2 reasons: first, puff pastry comes 2 sheets to a box and you can't separate them until you thaw them, so you might as well use them both, and second, because they're so darn good one batch just isn't enough!

Puff Pastry Chicken Bundles
link to original recipe
Prep time: 20 min  Bake time: 20 min
Serves 8

8 chicken tenderloins - (or 2 breasts, cut up)
Salt and pepper, to taste

2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 (8 oz) tub spinach and artichoke cream cheese (or chive and onion)
8 slices Muenster cheese
1 egg
1 Tbs water


Sprinkle chicken liberally with salt and pepper; set aside. 

On a lightly floured surface, roll a sheet of puff pastry into a 14-in. square. Cut into four squares.  Repeat with second sheet of pastry.

Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese on each square, leaving a half inch border of pastry around each side; top with Muenster cheese and chicken.


Whisk egg and water; lightly brush over edges. Bring opposite corners of pastry over each bundle; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture.


Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.


342 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment