Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Curry-licious Shrimp

I've told you before how the rest of my family does not appreciate curry in any form.  But curry is one of my favorite flavors!  Is it bad that I continue to make curry dishes, hoping they will eventually like one of them?  Maybe it's just selfishness, but I prefer to think of it as my attempt to broaden their taste horizons.  Either way, I don't intend to stop anytime soon.  Fortunately, I think I've finally found a curry dish we can all enjoy!  Everybody cleaned their plates and I even got a compliment out of Allen, my most adamant curry opponent.

This recipe calls for shrimp and rice, but now that I know my family likes it, I will definitely try it with other meats and starches.  You could also add additional vegetables if you wanted.  I served this with a side of sugar snap peas which are one of my favorite veggies.  If you haven't tried them, you absolutely must - they are great raw, steamed, or simmered.

Coconut Shrimp Curry
link to original recipe
Total time: 20 min
Serves 8

For the marinade:
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined

For the sauce:
1 Tbs canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tsp kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 cups hot cooked rice for serving, if desired
 
For the shrimp marinade, toss the shrimp with the salt, pepper, cayenne and lemon juice in a resealable large bag or in a bowl. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium-sized pot, heat the canola oil over medium heat until rippling and hot. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the pepper, ginger, salt, garlic, coriander, turmeric and curry powder. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture is very fragrant and the onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the undrained tomatoes to the pot and cook, stirring and scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, for about 1 minute. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring often.

Add the coconut milk, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the shrimp and any accumulated juices from the marinade. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the shrimp are curled, lightly pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes. I prefer my sauce a little thicker, so I stirred in a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in cold water at this point.

Stir in the cilantro. Serve over hot, cooked rice, if desired.
 
283 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment