Saturday, October 11, 2014

Creamy White Chili

I am a summer girl. I like warm weather, shorts and flip flops, lying on the beach, and cold, fresh dinners that don't heat up the oven. Everybody else is all like, "Oohh, fall is so wonderful!" and I'm just like, "No, don't leave me, Summer!"

Fortunately, I live in the south, so even though it's mid-October it's still a lovely 82 degrees and sunny outside. Unfortunately, the fresh fruits and veggies that made such bright, crisp summer suppers are no longer in such ready supply, and my Pinterest feed is full of soups and roasts and crusty baked breads that almost make me wish it was cool enough to turn on the fireplace.

I started out slowly, with some frozen chili I microwaved and scooped onto cheese fries. Pretty darn tasty and it reminded me of summer food, something you'd get at the fair or a ballgame. Surely I wasn't inviting in winter with an innocent plate of chili cheese fries?

But then the clouds rolled in and it began to drizzle and the temps dropped by ten degrees. So I gave in and dove headfirst into fall cuisine with a hot, bubbly pot of deliciousness--my favorite creamy white chili.  Maybe I'll turn up the air conditioner tomorrow so I can have another bowl.


Creamy White Chili
Prep time: 10 minutes  Cook time: 30 min
Serves 6
 
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs canola oil
2 cans (15-1/2 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 oz) chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a large soup pot, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream.  Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.


435 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment