Saturday, November 9, 2013

Refrigerator Eclair Cake

Don't you just love it when something turns out even better than you had hoped? Months ago, I pinned a recipe for an eclair dessert that looked really good in the picture, but when I read the ingredients I was disappointed and figured it wouldn't taste nearly as good as it looked. Regardless, I kept the pin, and every time I scrolled through my Pinterest dessert board, it would catch my eye.

Finally, the other day I needed a quick dessert that I could make with the things I had on hand. Being fall, my first thought was pumpkin, but once again my mind went to this dessert and it looked so quick and easy I just couldn't resist any longer. I am so glad I tried it! The ingredients are plain and simple (and somewhat unimpressive) but the end result is creamy, chocolatey perfection.

You do need to refrigerate this overnight, so it takes a little forethought, but it comes together in just a few minutes and I usually have all the ingredients in my pantry.  Plus, this is an eclair cake, and eclairs are donuts, which are definitely breakfast food, so I am totally having this for breakfast tomorrow, no guilt required!



Refrigerator Eclair Cake

Prep time: 10 min Chill time: 8 hrs
Serves 20

Filling:
2 (3.5 oz.) boxes vanilla instant pudding (Some boxes are smaller than 3.5 oz. If yours are, add enough from a 3rd box to equal 7 oz or use a little less milk so the filling sets properly.)
3 cups milk 
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed
1 box (14.4 oz) graham crackers (I used cinnamon, but regular are fine. I might try with chocolate next time!)

Topping:
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 stick (1/2 c) butter
1 tsp vanilla extract


Combine pudding mix and milk; beat 3 minutes. Stir in Cool Whip.

Lay out one sleeve of graham crackers in the bottom of a 9x13" dish. Spread 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Repeat with another layer of graham crackers and pudding; then top with a final layer of graham crackers.

Bring cocoa, milk, and sugar to a full rolling boil; boil about 1 minute, stirring very frequently. Remove from heat and cool one minute. Add butter and vanilla; stir until butter is melted. Pour chocolate topping over the top layer of graham crackers.


Refrigerate overnight.

271 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!