Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Releasing my Inner Dweeb!

So, the first time I heard of blogging I thought, "Well, that's for dweebs!"  Then a few of my non-dweeby friends started blogs and I thought, "Well, maybe blogging is okay, if you're into that sort of thing."  Then I joined Pinterest and started discovering how just about every good pin I found came from somebody's blog and I thought, "Well, I guess blogging is all the rage now, but you have to really think you're somebody special to expect people to 'follow' you just because you start a blog." And THEN I got asked for one of my favorite recipes for like the hundredth time and I thought, "Maybe I should just start a blog so I can share all these great things with everybody who wants them!"  So, I guess I owe all you blogging dweebs out there an apology.  And maybe a really good recipe to convince you to follow my blog.
 
My 13-year-old daughter likes to complain that I give WAY too many details (although, personally, I think I give just the right amount of details to keep the story nice and juicy) but I will take her admonishment to heart and promise not to be one of those annoying bloggers who thinks every post should include a five paragraph soliloquy on the highlights of my day.  This blog is about recipes, and maybe just a few juicy details to whet your appetite.  I won't promise to blog every day--I do have a life, ya know!  But when I find a great recipe, I promise I'll share it.

I thought long and hard about what should be the first recipe I post, but it's getting late and I'm hungry, so just about everything sounds fabulous right now.  So instead of trying to post the very best recipe I know or something incredibly impressive to start this blog out right, I think I'll just start from today and share what we had for dinner tonight, cuz it's a keeper.  Hope ya like it!

Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches
Prep time: 15 min  Wait time: 20 min  Bake time: 20 min
Serves 12

1 (12 count) package Hawaiian bread rolls
1 lb shaved Black Forest ham
12 slices Gruyere cheese (or provolone)
1/2 cup chive & onion cream cheese spread
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Tbs dried minced onion
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cut all rolls in half. Place roll bottoms in 9x13-inch pan.

Place equal amounts of ham on each roll bottom. Top with cheese.

On the cut side of each roll, spread a generous amount of the cream cheese spread. Return the tops to the bottoms making sandwiches.

In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, Worcestershire sauce, onion and Parmesan cheese. Pour over your sandwiches and let sit for at least 20 minutes. (You can make these ahead of time and allow to sit in fridge overnight.)

Place sandwiches, covered in foil, in a preheated 350 degrees F oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until warmed through.

262 calories per slider. Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

1 comment: