Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lasagna by the Ladle

We all love lasagna at our house, and I've posted my favorite lasagna recipe on here before, but sometimes I just don't have the time and energy to fuss with making it.  But soup - now soup is easy!  It takes a little time to simmer, but the hands-on time is minimal, and since I'm making dinner for 50 teenagers tomorrow and Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, I really need simple today.  Besides, I'd rather devote my energy to the dessert I have planned!  Plus, Uncle Johnny just arrived and he loves soup, so what better time to try out the recipe.  Lasagna is great for company, and this variation did not disappoint in the least.  Everybody thought it was fabulous, even the kid, who doesn't like any of the ingredients in this recipe, but scarfed down a big bowlful before I even had a chance to insist she give it a try!

Lasagna Soup
link to original recipe
Prep time: 5 min  Cook time: 55 min
Serves 7

1 lb Italian sausage
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp dried basil
12 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded


In a large soup pot, brown sausage with onion, green pepper and garlic. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil 2 minutes, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, covered (I might try reducing this next time because I'm impatient!) Stir occasionally.

Add bite sized lasagna noodles to soup and cook until tender (about 15 minutes).
When ready to serve, mix in the grated Parmesan cheese. Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.


517 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment