Friday, September 27, 2013

Liquid Taco Love - Taco Soup

We love tacos at our house. Of course, who doesn't like tacos, right? I mean, seriously, what's not to love about spicy beef and cheese, wrapped up in a crispy shell. Tacos are pretty easy, too. Brown some meat, put out some fixings, and let the fam assemble their own dinner. Sounds like a winner to me!

When we first adopted our daughter, Rachel, I remember how excited she would get whenever we were having tacos for dinner, and any time I asked her what she wanted me to make her face would light up with a great big, cheesy grin and she'd yell, "Tacos!!!" But, just like her taste in music has matured from Justin Bieber to One Direction, tacos have lost some of their specialness and we're on the lookout for something new and exciting that will rekindle the thrill of our weekly taco night.

The weather turned a little cooler this week, and I felt the need to break out my fuzzy socks and flannel pj's, so a thick, bubbly soup seemed like just the thing to warm me up. I wasn't planning on making this soup, but when I saw how easy it was and knew I had all the ingredients already in my pantry, I dumped all my taco fixings in a pot and voila! my new favorite form of tacos was born!



Cheesy Taco Soup
Total time: 25 min.
Serves 6

Meat Mixture:
1 lb lean ground beef
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
1/2 cup diced green pepper (optional)
1 (1 oz) envelope taco seasoning 
1 (10 oz) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans or black beans (or a combo)
2 cups frozen corn
1.5 cups milk

Cheese Mixture:
2 Tbsp butter 
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cayenne pepper, to taste
Topping suggestions: Mexican blend shredded cheese, sour cream, diced green onions, corn chips (Fritos)

Season ground beef with salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp each) then brown in a large soup pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add onions and peppers, if using, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain off grease and return to pot.

Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, corn, and 1-1/2 cups milk into beef mixture and stir well to combine. Cook over medium-high heat until almost boiling (you should see just a few bubbles) then turn heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then whisk in flour and cook for one minute. Slowly whisk in 1 cup milk. Switch to a rubber spatula to cook and stir mixture until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat then stir in shredded cheese until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1/4 tsp each).

Add cheese sauce to meat mixture and simmer a few more minutes until heated through. Add cayenne pepper to taste, if desired (I use about 1/2 tsp.)

I serve this with Mexican blend shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, and corn chips for topping.