Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pot Pie Perfection

Pot pie is such a traditional comfort food, you'd be surprised to know my momma never made it for us. I'm a lot like my momma, but I definitely didn't get my love of cooking from her. She was great at fried chicken, pork chops, and mashed potatoes, but that was about the extent of her repertoire. Now she reads my blog and says, "I'm gonna try that some time!"

The first time I tasted chicken pot pie (besides the single serving frozen ones) was when Ryan's Steakhouse opened up in the next town. I was always so bummed the days when we went and they didn't have it on the buffet!

When I moved to the South, everyone talked about chicken pie, which, best I can tell, is the same thing but without the vegetables in it. Now what is the point of that? This is a perfect dish to hide a bunch of veggies in! Even my teenager loves this dish, veggies included. In fact, she made it all by herself last night and it turned out great. I've tried a dozen different pot pie recipes over the years, and they're all pretty similar, but this is the combination I like the best.

To precook the chicken, I find it super easy to throw some breasts in the Crock-Pot so they are ready to go when I am. This makes the dish come together a lot quicker. I also use pre-made, refrigerated pie crust--the kind with two rolled-up crusts in a package. Now, homemade pie crust is really not that hard, or that time-consuming, but making it just adds more work to my day and even the generic brands taste just fine to me, thank you very much!

This recipe makes two single-crust pies, so you could potentially eat one and save the other for later, but we usually just scarf it all down right away. I haven't tried freezing the second one before baking it, but I'm sure that could work, too. You'd probably have to thaw it first or bake it about 20 minutes longer.  If I ever try that, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Chicken Pot Pie
Prep time: 15 min  Bake time: 20 min
Serves 8

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup onion, diced (optional)
1/2 cup flour
8 oz chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
3 cups cubed, cooked chicken (or turkey)
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
2 pie crusts
1 egg, beaten

Melt butter in a large saucepan.  Saute onions if butter. When onions are tender, whisk in flour. Gradually add broth and milk, whisking constantly till smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes or till thickened.

Add the chicken, veggies, cheese and seasonings then heat through.

Divide mixture evenly between two greased pie pans. Spread pie crust over top and press edges of dough to pan. Crimp edges of dough if desired. Cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Brush crust with beaten egg for a nice, crisp shine.

Bake, uncovered, at 425F for 18-22 minutes or till golden brown.  Let stand 10-20 minutes before cutting to allow filling to firm up--unless you like chicken pot soup!