Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Sweet-n-Spicy Sticky Crispy Chicken Wings

I really like chicken wings, but I'm not a fan of the typical buffalo sauce they are normally served with.  BBQ sauce is good, but that gets a little boring, too.  The best chicken wing sauce I've ever had was a unique garlic ranch sauce that they serve at Dick's Wings in Jacksonville, Florida.  I lived there for a year and must have eaten there a dozen times because that sauce was sooooo good!  One time, when I went back to Florida to visit, I bought a whole gallon of their sauce so I could made my own wings at home.  Since I don't get to Florida very often, and I've yet to find a copycat version of that delicacy, I was determined to find something else really yummy, and I totally scored with this one!

These wings have a great, crispy texture, and the sauce is sweet and spicy with a unique Asian flavor that was anything but boring.  In fact, the sauce was so yummy and easy, I just might try it on a few other things!


Sweet-n-Spicy Sticky Crispy Chicken Wings

Prep time: 15 min  Cook time: 10 min
Serves 6

4 lbs chicken wings sections
1 cup flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1.5 Tbs ground ginger
1 eggs
1 Tbs milk

For the Glaze:
1 finely minced garlic clove
2 tsp olive oil
⅔ cup honey
2 tsp Chinese crushed chili paste
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt

Mix together the flour, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, five-spice powder, sea salt, black pepper and ground ginger.  Whisk together the eggs and milk.

Dredge the wings in the egg mixture then the flour mixture and drop them in a 350°F deep fryer for about 8-10 minutes or little longer for larger wings, until a medium golden brown.  Drain on a wire rack placed on a paper towel-lined cookie sheet. Hold in a 175°F oven if making more than one batch.

Add the oil and garlic to a small saucepan.  Saute over medium heat until the garlic is softened but not browned.  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

Pour over all the cooked wings in a large bowl and toss well to cover the wings in the glaze before serving.

797 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment