Thursday, June 19, 2014

Shrimp Cakes with Cajun Mayo

My family lived on the Gulf coast for several years when I was a kid, and my dad caught shrimp for a living, but I completely missed out on all the great shrimp recipes the Gulf area is famous for. Why? Because I was a picky little kid! I wasn't quite as bad as my own daughter is, but I still regret all the amazing dishes I avoided. My daughter does like shrimp, but she still wouldn't touch this recipe with a 10-foot pole because of all the "yucky" vegetables in it, but the hubs and I thought they made it fresh and fabulous, even though I used frozen shrimp instead of the incredible fresh catch I passed up as a kid.



Shrimp Cakes with Cajun Mayo
Prep time: 20 min  Cook time: 20 min

Serves 4

6 tsp olive oil, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and chopped
1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbs lemon juice, divided
2 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise


Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet, such as cast iron, or a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.

Add shrimp, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and salt to the bowl. Thoroughly combine, then form into 8 cakes, 3 inches wide and about 1/2 inch thick.


Wipe out the pan, add another 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium heat. Add 4 shrimp cakes and cook, turning once, until the shrimp are just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the remaining 4 cakes, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning.


Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning in a small bowl. Serve the mayonnaise with the shrimp cakes.


384 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment