Saturday, February 1, 2014

Quicker than a Biscuit - Donuts

I'm supposed to be on a diet.  Problem is, I have very low self control.  All it takes is a free Saturday and a good-looking Pinterest recipe to blow my whole week's worth of effort.  Actually, sometimes all it takes is a poorly-timed food commercial, but that makes me sound really bad!  I have been trying hard not to indulge myself in all the yummy recipes I run across (and trying to avoid Pinterest altogether) but when I saw how reasonable the calorie count was on these little beauties, and realized that I could be eating them in about 10 minutes, yeah, the self control was out the door.  I was really skeptical at first that these would taste like a donut and not like a biscuit, but they were great!  I coated them with cinnamon sugar as the recipe says, but I think they would also taste fabulous with a glaze or a flavored icing.  I'll try that next time and let you know how it turns out.  Just like at Krispy Kreme, these are best when they're warm, but they were still good several hours later.  Just ask Rachel - I made them around 9am, but she didn't get out of the bed and try one till 1 o'clock!  She's lucky there were some left!

Biscuit Donuts
Prep time: 5 min  Cook time: 5 min
Serves 10

1 can biscuits (any kind, just not flaky layers)
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs cinnamon

1/4 cup margarine
Vegetable oil for frying

Pour oil into skillet to the depth of a little less than 1/2 an inch and heat on medium to medium high for about five minutes.


In a bowl, melt margarine. In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.  Cut the center out of each biscuit (a plastic bottle cap works great for this.)

Drop dough into hot oil, watching carefully and turning when golden, less than a minute per side. Once donuts are golden on both sides, remove to a draining rack (see example here.) Repeat until all dough is cooked, including donut holes.

Dip both sides of each donut into melted margarine, then press both sides into cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve warm.


159 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment