Monday, July 8, 2013

Mac n' Cheese Pleaser

Don't you just love one pot dishes?  A few years ago, I convinced my husband that, since I cook dinner every night, he should do the dishes.  (Call me if you want some tips on making that miracle happen!) But when I was in charge of doing the dishes, I would do everything I could to dirty as few dishes as possible. This made for some pretty creative skillet meals.  When I was a kid, the ultimate one pot dinner was Kraft Mac n' Cheese, of course, and I'm not embarrassed to admit I still find that stuff delectable, but when I want something with a little less yellow dye #5, homemade mac n' cheese tops my list of yummy sides.  Have you ever tried to make homemade mac n' cheese, though?  That is some seriously time-consuming comfort food!  Boil the noodles, make the sauce, bake it for an hour...yeah, not gonna happen.  This recipe, however, is quick, simple, and comes together in just one pot.  I didn't even use a bunch of measuring cups, I just eyeballed it and it turned out fine. My husband brought home a zucchini the size of a baseball bat the other day, so I grated up about a cupful of that and tossed it in for some added fiber and vitamins, but you can easily leave that out or even substitute some broccoli if your children don't cringe at the sight of visible vegetables.  One tip though: don't forget to rinse out the pot right away, because this sauce turns to cement when left on the bottom of the pan!

Skillet Mac n' Cheese
link to original recipe
total time: 20 min.
8 servings 

3 1/2 cups water
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
12 oz elbow macaroni 
1/2 tsp salt 
1 cup grated zucchini, if desired 
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp hot sauce 
6 oz Monterey Jack, shredded 
6 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
2 Tbs butter, diced 
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has thickened, 9 to 12 minutes.  Add zucchini.
 
Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, mustard and hot sauce together, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.


Remove from heat, stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

441 calories per serving.  Click here for nutritional info and shopping list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment