Thursday, December 5, 2013

Better-than-Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup

I know this might alienate me from half my readership, but I have to admit that I do not like Panera.  Gasp!  I know, I know, everybody loves Panera, but I find it annoyingly pretentious and irritatingly complicated for what I consider an overpriced Subway.  All those suburban housewives in riding boots and silk scarves eating grilled fontina cheese sandwiches on toasted focaccia with a harvest wheatberry salad on the side- gag me with with a spoon!  If I have to eat at Panera, I skip the fancy salads and cold-cut sandwiches served on too chewy bread and go straight for the broccoli cheese soup.  That stuff is pretty darn tasty.  But, I try to avoid Panera as much as possible, so I sure am glad I have this fabulous recipe for broccoli cheese soup that's just as good as theirs.  Better even, because I don't have to spend 6 bucks for a bowl of it!

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Total time: 20 min
Serves 6

3 Tbs butter
1 cup diced onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp thyme
3 Tbs flour
3 cups chicken broth*
16 oz broccoli, finely chopped (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

Melt butter in a large saucepan and saute onions with salt, pepper, and nutmeg till tender, about 3 minutes.  Add garlic and thyme and cook 30 seconds.  Add flour and cook 2 minutes  Slowly add broth, whisking constantly.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer till thickened, about 5 minutes.  Add broccoli and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.  Stir in the cream and cheese and cook on low till melted.

*I used my homemade turkey stock for this and it tasted great, too.  I always simmer my Thanksgiving turkey carcass in a big pot of water for a few hours to make a fabulous stock.  Then I freeze it in ice cube trays so I can thaw just the amount I need.  You can do this with leftover chicken bones, too!

304 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!

No comments:

Post a Comment