Thursday, August 22, 2013

Benn-agains Baked Potato Soup

I remember the first time I tried baked potato soup.  It was probably 15 years ago and they had just opened up a Bennigan's in my town.  Their soup was so delicious it instantly became my favorite dish at my new favorite restaurant.  Sadly, no one else in my family developed such an intense appreciation for Bennigan's cuisine, so I figured if I wanted to have baked potato soup more than once a year or so, I better figure out how to make it myself.

I don't remember where I found this recipe, it was so long ago, but it tasted so much like the Bennigan's version I knew it was a keeper, and I've been making it ever since. With this recipe, I can have Bennigan's again whenever I want it.  In fact, I don't think I've even been back there since then, which is sad because they have some great southwestern egg rolls, too, but that's another blog post!  I've made this for friends, family, even important company, and everybody loves it, but the best part is, I don't think any of them would ever guess just how easy it is!

It does require a tiny bit of pre-planning since it's made with baked potatoes, but I've even microwaved the potatoes in a pinch and they tasted fine.  For best results though, lube up your taters with some olive oil, prick them all over with a fork, season with salt and pepper and bake them for about an hour at 350. Don't wrap them in foil - that just traps in the steam and makes them mushy.  You can bake them ahead of time if you need.  When you add them to the soup they'll warm right up.

I always serve this with a nice salad, but I never eat the salad, opting instead for a second bowl of soup.  Actually, I usually make a double batch because I know I'm gonna want some more for lunch the next day.  This makes 5 servings, but that's never quite as much as I want to eat!

Baked Potato Soup
Prep time: 1 hr (to bake potatoes)
Cook time: 15 min
Serves 5

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
3 baked potatoes
Salt & pepper, to taste
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/3 cup green onion, chopped

Melt butter in a large saucepan.  Add onions and saute 1-2 minutes, till tender.  Whisk in flour.  Gradually whisk in broth and evaporated milk till smooth.  Scoop pulp from one baked potato and mash.  Add to pan.  Cook over medium heat till boiling.  Dice remaining potato skin and potatoes and add to soup.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions.

476 calories per serving.  Click here for more nutritional info and shopping list!